Tuesday 28 May 2019

Investigation of handwriting vs device

Hypothesis 2-Handwriting VS device


I will look at if I simply use a device as a motivator to do writing, then will this be enough for my students to form a simple sentence, or would other skills need to be taught.

This is a writing sample of one of my Yr 8 students who has language delays and is not motivated write. I wanted to see how she constructs a simple sentence using pictures as prompts.
This is what she wrote.


She said I hate writing, I want to use the computer. She was given the same activity and she was allowed to use the computer. This is her independent writing. 


Over the next few weeks, we worked on punctuation and verbs.  We also worked on forming simple sentences, understanding the parts to a sentence. I assumed she knew this, but it had to be taught. We also used an editing checklist. She was encouraged to spell check. 


This was her writing sample thereafter.


There needed to be explicit teaching of these skills in order for her to succeed. She was very excited to see no red lines and that her writing "looked right".




No comments:

Post a Comment