Friday 17 May 2019

Emergent writers

Supporting Emergent Writing 

Hypothesis 1- writing for real reasons
If I encourage my students to write for real reasons, then will they be motivated to write.

In Sally Clendon's research, she says that:
Students who write become better readers, writers, and thinkers.Students learn in classroom writing communities where they have the opportunity to:
– write for real reasons 
– see others write
– interact with peers and teacher about the written content, use, and form. 
– write without standards (i.e., without pressure to write neatly, spell correctly, and follow rules like capitalization, punctuation).

I will share some work that I am doing with one of my students who is working at level one. Due to his intellectual and physical complexities, he requires lots of motivation to engage in writing. My biggest focus at the moment is for my student is to know why he needs to write ie, writing for "Real Reasons"

Writing for real reasons- Level 1


Student drew and shared his experience,
teacher recorded what was said.
Teacher wrote a letter to family
so the student can see a real reason for writing.
Family made a postbox to sent
and receive letters
Students at school also send letters
Student is asked to describe the object
using his senses.
Prompts that can be used


Student tells the story, teacher writes,
leaving opportunities for student to attempt writing.
Student attempting independent writing

This student was definitely  motivated, but will my other students be motivated to write for real reasons?

No comments:

Post a Comment